Can Cats Eat Mango? Is It a Good Choice For Them?
Mango is a sweet exotic fruit that people love to consume. While mango offers many health benefits for humans, it is natural to think it will also provide health benefits for cats, isn't that right. The truth can be a little different, and if you ever wondered if your cat can eat mango or will mango be good for your cat, stay with us, and you will find out everything about this delicious tropical fruit.
Can cats eat mango?
Cats are obligate carnivores, and because of that, they will not have many benefits from eating this fruit. Mango is, however, safe for cats to consume – if fed in moderation. Eating mango for cats can offer some benefits, but there are also several potential risks for this fruit.
Cats will get all nutrients they need from their well-balanced cat food. If you are determined to feed your cat mango, you should speak to your vet first and listen to what they have to say about this plan.
Can mango be suitable for cats?
As we already said, mango offers humans many health benefits, but that doesn't mean that this fruit will have the same effect on cats. Mango is packed with many nutrients that include:
- Vitamin C – although vitamin C is an immune booster for humans, cats don't need to ingest vitamin C since they can produce it on their own
- Dietary fiber- cats will get all the required fiber amount that they need from their balanced food. Dietary fibers that come in mango will not make much difference for our cats.
- Sugar - like many fruits, mango is packed with a high sugar amount, and providing your cats with anything more than a few pieces of mango can cause gastrointestinal problems.
- Water – since many cat owners have problems with their cats consuming water, this fruit can help keep your cat hydrated.
- Vitamins – besides vitamin C, mango is also packed with vitamins A, E, and K.
- Potassium – this fruit has plenty of this electrolyte that is important for cats.
How to feed mango to your cat?
If you are determined to give your cat a piece of mango, and your vet agrees, this is how you should feed your cat to avoid any complications.
- Always use fresh mango
- You need to remove the seeds and peel
- Cut mango into small pieces that will not cause choking for your cat – as an alternative, you can blend this fruit
- Offer your cat only a small amount and wait to see if your cat will have any reaction to mango.
How much should you feed your cat?
Our recommendation is to keep the portion small. Only a few pieces every 3-4 days will be enough, and you will not cause any weight gain for your cat, nor will you disturb the cat's diet.
Symptoms to watch
After you follow all recommended steps and give your cat a small piece of mango, you must watch your cat for any reaction. Symptoms to watch are vomiting and diarrhea. If you notice these two symptoms, you should contact your vet immediately.
IMPORTANT TIP: It is required to cut a mango into small pieces that will not pose a choking hazard for your cat.
In general, cats can eat mango, which will offer them a few benefits, but there are more health concerns about this tropical fruit. Cats will not need mango in their diet since they are carnivores. If you decide to feed your cat mango, you should watch for any symptoms and contact your vet if you notice them.
World Cat Finder Team