Reasons Why You Should Never Allow Your Cat To Eat Raisins

Reasons Why You Should Never Allow Your Cat To Eat Raisins

Author WCF Staff


Raisins are a popular snack among humans, and we love to consume them since they offer many benefits for our health. As a cat owner, you might think that since raisins are good for us, the same should apply to our cats. Isn't that right?

We are here to tell you that raisins should never be offered to cats, not even in small amounts because they are extremely toxic. Raisins are one of the human food that our cats shouldn't come near if we want to preserve the health of our beloved cats.

Raisins toxicity in cats

Many cat owners don't realize the dangers that raisins present to cats. Even if your cat ingests a small number of raisins, she could experience toxicity. In most severe cases where your cat has ingested much of raisins quickly, she could have total kidney failure.

This is a serious health problem; you shouldn't waste more time. If you suspect your cat has ingested raisins, you should immediately call your vet and rush to the clinic.

In this situation, every minute is important, and your cat will have a higher chance of recovery if you quickly come to the clinic.

GOOD TO KNOW: Cat owners are aware of grapes and the dangers they pose to our cats, but in reality, raisins are much more dangerous since they are in concentrated form, and your cat could potentially ingest a lot of raisins in a short amount of time.


RELATED: Why Is Not Smart To Share Grapes With Your Cat?

Symptoms of raisins toxicity in cats

Raisins are highly toxic to cats, and if your cat somehow managed to get her paws on some, you can expect symptoms of raisin toxicity to appear. Every cat is different, and symptoms can vary, but your cat will have many health problems.

These are symptoms to watch out for:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Dehydration
  • Weakness
  • Abdominal pain
  • Excessive urination
  • Increased thirst

If you suspect that your cat has ingested raisins and notice any of these symptoms, you must hurry to the nearest vet clinic to save your cat's life.

These are starting symptoms of raisins toxicity, leading to more severe health problems, including kidney failure, and death.


RELATED: Can You Share Olives With Your Cat?

When to see your vet?

Whether your cat has eaten only a few raisins or a lot more, you should immediately seek vet help. Even a few raisins can cause toxicity and create many problems for your cat. You shouldn't postpone going to the clinic.

Your vet will, in most cases, induce vomit to reduce the number of raisins causing toxicity. After vomiting, your cat should receive IV fluids and supportive care. Depending on the time it passes from ingestion to treatment, the cat's recovery will also depend.

The faster you get your cat to the clinic, the chances of a full recovery are better.

How to prevent raisins toxicity?

All human food that is toxic to cats, including raisins, should be kept out of cat reach. That way, you can be sure that your cat won't be tempted to eat them. Since cats are obligate carnivores and raisins will not be interesting to them, the chances of your cat eating raisins on their own are low, but you shouldn't take a risk.

After eating raisins, always ensure you remove them from the cat's reach; this is the best prevention. Believe us when we say that you don't want to see your cat go through raisin toxicity.

RELATED: Blueberries & Cats - Should They Mix?

Alternative to raisins

If you want to share certain human food with your cat to "spice" her diet, you can choose many options that will be safe and beneficial for your cat. You can share carrots, peas, broccoli, pumpkin, spinach, and much more with your cat.

RELATED: 24 Human Foods You Can Safely Offer To Your Cat

World Cat Finder Team

world cat finder logo