What To Do If Your Cat Has Been Stung By Bee?
Cats are curious creatures with good hunting instincts that will gladly try to chase and sometimes eat smaller animals, especially if they fly. If your cat sees a bee or a wasp, you can be sure she will try to catch it.
In this attempt, there is a high possibility that your cat will get stung by a bee or a wasp, no matter if you own an indoor or an outdoor cat. To provide proper care for your cat, you must understand all the dangers connected to bee stings.
In the majority of cases, bee and wasp stings could be managed from home, and your cat will not need any additional medical attention, but also, if your cat is having an allergic reaction to a sting, things could get pretty serious quite fast.
Here is everything you need to know about cats, bees, and wasp stings.
What to do if your cat has been stung by a bee or wasp?
There could be a situation in your cat's life where she will be stung by a bee or wasp. In this scenario, your should remain calm and try to find the location of a sting. Bees and wasps have different ways of stinging, and you need to find them in order to help your cat.
If your cat was stung by a bee, you need to recognize if the stinger is still in your cat and remove it because even in this scenario, the stinger will release the venom into a cat.
Wasps are far more dangerous, but they will not leave a stinger in the cat, and this could cause additional problems because wasps can sting your cat multiple times and cause even more damage.
To remove a stinger, the best thing is to use a credit card and gently try to push it out. Our advice would be not to use tweezers and nails since you can easily put the stinger deeper and cause more problems for your cat.
How to recognize a sting on a cat?
Your cat will, in most cases, be in discomfort and will try to lick, scratch, or bite the area where the sting has occurred. This should clearly indicate to you that this is the place of a stinger. Don't be surprised if that area is red and swollen since its stinger could cause a reaction from your cat, especially if the stinger is still attached to her.
Signs and symptoms that your cat has been stung by a bee or wasp
Whenever cats are affected by any problem, you will be able to notice that something is wrong because there will be some visible symptoms. In the case where your cat has been stung by a bee or wasp, your cat could show some symptoms that will indicate some problem, and they are
- General weakness
- Excessive swelling
- Pale gums
- Excessive drooling
- Strange vocalization
If you notice any of these symptoms and signs, your cat for sure is having some problems, and you will have to take her to the clinic. Only that way can you protect your cat and provide her with proper needs.
Can cats be allergic to stings?
For cats to be allergic to bee venom is for sure possible, but not so common. In this scenario, where the bee venom enters the cat's body, you can expect your cat to go into anaphylactic shock, but this is extremely rare.
The most common reaction to a bee sting for your cat is redness, excessive swelling, and irritation on the sting site.
When to take your cat to the vet after the sting?
For most cases of bee stings, your cat will not need vet help to recover. She can experience some symptoms, but usually, they will not be anything serious, rather just some redness and swelling.
If your cat has been stung multiple times by a bee or a wasp, you will have to call your vet immidietly and take your cat to the clinic. In case of multiple stings, there is a higher possibility that your cat will have some serious problems, and the faster you come to the clinic, the faster your cat will recover.
What is the correct treatment for stings in cats?
In most cases, bee stings could be treated at home, and your cat will not need vets' attention. You will have to watch your cat and if you notice any of the symptoms mentioned above, contact your vet immediately.
Some cats could be in some pain, and you can always ask your vet to prescribe her some pain meds.
Also, suppose you notice that your cat is extremely uncomfortable, and the swelling is pretty bad. In that case, you can ask him to give you some over-the-counter meds, but remember that you should never medicate your cat on your own without your vet's approval. Doing that can only create more problems if you do not know what you are doing.
Is there a way to prevent bee and wasp stings in cats?
Preventing bee and wasp stings can be pretty hard and almost impossible. However, there are things you can do to reduce the possibility of a sting to a minimum.
Whenever you come across a nest close to your house, you should lock the cats and call a professional to remove the nest.
If a bee or a wasp manages to enter your home, you should remain calm and try to remove your cat from that area. When you remove the cat, you should try to make a bee or a wasp leave your house.
Bee and wasp stings shouldn't be the top of your concerns, and if a sting does happen, in most cases, your cat will be fine, but as the old saying goes: It's better to be safe than sorry.
World Cat Finder Team